Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development
SMSC will be promoted through a curriculum which reflects the aims and values of the school and meets the needs of all pupils so that they have the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life They will learn through a strong sense of community underpinned by fundamental British Values.
We will choose books and learning opportunities which will enable the pupils to ask questions and have discussions in a safe environment. This will enable children to gain knowledge of current affairs and have an open mind to differences.
Pupils will be taught to understand and be respectful of the fact that people do have different faiths and beliefs. Pupils will be provided with the opportunity to meet with people from different faiths through the RE & PSHE curriculums alongside visitors to assembly who represent a range of faiths.
To ensure that learning at Thurcroft Junior Academy develops children’s Spiritual Development, the curriculum will encourage children to;
- Listen and be still (encourage quiet reflection during a lesson or assembly)
- Foster a sense wonder and mystery in the world (promote an awareness of, and enjoyment in, using their imaginative potential and to develop curiosity and a questioning approach)
- Develop individual self-confidence in expressing inner thought in a variety of ways
- Develop self-esteem, respect for themselves and the ability to reflect
- Have the opportunity to develop personal beliefs.
To ensure that learning at Thurcroft Junior Academy develops children’s Moral Development, the curriculum will encourage children to;
- Listen and respond appropriately to the views of others
- Understand the principles lying behind decisions and actions
- Be able to take moral decisions for themselves
- Show respect for the environment
- Be able to distinguish between right and wrong and to take responsibility for one’s own actions
- Respect honesty and fairness and to tell the truth
- Respect the rights and property of others and themselves
- Respect loyalty
- Help those less fortunate or able than ourselves
- Treat others as they would wish to be treated themselves
- Value other people and their feelings and act considerately towards others
- Exercise self-discipline
- Consider consequences of actions and effect on others
- Develop positive attitudes
- Conform to rules and regulations for the good of all
- Consider moral dilemmas.
To ensure that learning at Thurcroft Junior Academy develops children’s Social Development, the curriculum will encourage children to;
- Relate positively to others and to show sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others
- Participate fully and take responsibility in the classroom and in the school
- Use appropriate behaviour, according to situations
- Engage successfully in partnership with others
- Exercise personal responsibility and initiative
- Work as part of a group, team and to consider other people’s point of view
- Interact positively with others through contacts outside school e.g. sporting activities, visits to universities, other faith organisations, etc
- Develop an understanding of citizenship and to experience being part of the Thurcroft community
- Realise there are things each person can do well
- Show politeness, cheerfulness, friendliness and actively want to do the right thing.
To ensure that learning at Thurcroft Junior Academy develops children’s Cultural Development, the curriculum will encourage children to;
- Develop a sense of belonging to pupils’ own culture and being proud of their cultural background
- Respond to cultural events
- Share different cultural experiences
- Respect different cultural and faith traditions
- Understand codes of behaviour, fitting to cultural tradition
- Explore other cultures and beliefs, and understand similarities and differences between faiths and cultures
- Develop an understanding of British cultural tradition, including all faiths
- Appreciate the values and customs of other ethnic and faith groups which make up modern British society, and the world beyond
- Develop the ability to value and celebrate current cultural enthusiasms and media.